Wednesday 23 October 2013

High End Drugstore Products: Why You Don't End Up Spending More

                As you may have been able to tell from my previous posts, I am a big fan of drugstore products. I buy almost all of my hair and skin care products from Shoppers Drug Mart on a regular basis. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I ventured over to the "high end" section of hair care, and it was only this year that I discovered high end skin care. Now when I say high end, I mean anything that is over a certain price point. In Shopper's, they generally have these products separated into different sections. However, drug store high end is still only high end to a degree, as they try to keep these products below a certain price point as well. I think I only started checking out these products when I left home, as I was always discouraged from spending too much on anything. 

Having said that, there's something I've noticed since I began to purchase these products. I'm actually not spending more money. The large majority of drugstore users shop at these stores for deals and affordable products. Nothing wrong with that. Spending much more than $10.00 at a time on pretty much anything is a no no, and that's just how it is. And these products generally work perfectly fine, they do what they're supposed to. This year, I started to want to REALLY take care of my skin, and transform it from just okay to really nice, clear and radiant. Many will just say to cut out this and that, don't drink caffeine or diet pop, drink lots and lots of water, blah blah. I'm a student, realistically none of that is going to happen right now and I'm good with that! I have watched all kinds of beauty tutorials and reviews on YouTube for years now. As there are a multitude of beauty gurus out there, you can always find someone with your same hair or skin type. This has lead to me getting it right almost every time I've purchased a product that they've recommended. 


Countless reviews on YouTube have led to me purchasing my beloved Bioderma Sensibio H2O for the first time. I have never seen or heard a bad review on this stuff, and that's coming from girls of all skin types. Great, great stuff! Having said that, this cleansing water is more expensive than what I would typically buy. I had never tried a cleansing water before Bioderma, and would never really have thought to. However, from the first day I started using it, I noticed that it did amazing things for my skin. My skin felt softer, produced less oil and looked more clear. It also eliminated the need for another drug store product I was using on top of my makeup remover, to get a similar softening effect. I haven't repurchased this other product since. Interesting.


Oh Biotherm....how I love you. I just started using this product, and I'm obsessed! This is the Hydra-Mineral Cleanser Foaming Mousse by Biosource for normal to combination skin. I noticed a difference in my skin after using this product twice. I have to say, through all my years of buying Clean and Clear, Garnier, L'Oreal and even Neutrogena, there has never been a time where I've noticed such an amazing difference, especially in such a short period of time. I actually bought this product on a whim, as I have not seen it mentioned in a YouTube video yet on my usual subscription channels. This cleanser eliminated the need for a toner, as well as cutting down my use of Bioderma to only once a day.


Last but not least, another recent purchase, my Bed Head Self Absorbed Conditioner. After using this product for the FIRST TIME, my hair was so lovely, full of moisture and frizz free that it eliminated the need for any other product I would normally spray or scrunch into my hair after it was dry. It also did the job better!

All 3 of these products are in the "high end" category of the hair or skincare section of the drugstore, and all three have eliminated the need for at least one other product for me. The prices are not outrageous, they are all $20 or under. Don't get me wrong, there are so many great drugstore products that cost less than this. However, if you're going to end up spending the same amount anyway for 1 versus 2 or 3 products, do some research on what would really work for you. You may be surprised how much better your skin or hair gets from one amazing product.



TIME TO HAVE A NAP! xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

March Favourites 2014! ♥

           Welcome to my March favourites 2014! As showcased in my YouTube video below, I had a decent amount of products to share with you...