Saturday 19 October 2013

Adopting a Cat From a Feral Cat Colony: My Experience

                Many people do not like the idea of taking in a feral or "wild" cat off of the streets. Understandably so, as you do not know if these cats are carrying a contagious disease, and you don't always know if they're going to be able to adapt to living with people. However, there are many charities and organizations that take in feral cats and kittens, such as the charity I adopted Chloe through. They are first checked out by a vet, and given up to date vaccinations. Their behavior is then monitored in a foster home, where they stay until they are given their forever home. These organizations also neuter or spay the cats that are taken in, in order to avoid the possibility of even more homeless kittens. I have adopted a kitten through an organization such as this, as well as taking a homeless kitten right off of the street myself. Both have been rewarding, and both were very different experiences. Here is my experience with taking a feral kitten right off the street, and into my home.

KENYA



When Kenya was first brought to my home by a friend of mine, this is exactly what she looked like. Scared out of her mind. She was TINY and could fit in the palm of my hand. I had no experience with feral cats whatsoever, but I had been informed of a litter of kittens that had been living outside since they were born, visiting a local bar every so often to get some food. After hearing this, I offered to take in at least one of them. I first did some research on what to do and what not to do when you take in a feral cat. I remember scrambling around, trying to find a large shallow box, newspaper, litter box and some food and water and putting them in my bath tub. I had two other cats with me at the time (I know, cat lady!) and didn't know how this was really going to work. 


The first night that I had her, all I could do was cuddle her and try to get her to go to sleep. That night she would repeatedly make the tiniest hisses at me, as that was all she could do. But in between the hissing, she let me hold her and snuggle her. I gave her a hot water bottle covered in a small towel to lie next to as well, which actually helped her get to sleep when I'd put her down. I wanted to introduce her to my other two cats right away, to maybe give her some sort of comfort, but I knew that it was a bad idea. She was scared enough as it was, and introducing new cats to her at this point couldn't be a good thing. Also, I had no idea if she had any contagious diseases. All I could see from looking at her was that one of her eyes was a little runny. So until I could take her to a vet, I was going to have to keep her separated. I started feeding her both wet and dry kitten food, and a special milk supplement for kittens that's supposed to be the closest thing to their mother's milk (expensive!)


Once she became a little more adjusted and was comfortable with me holding her, I took her to the vet. If anyone thinks that adopting a kitten off the street is a cheaper way to go, it is definitely not. The first time I took her she was tested for FIV (Feline Aids) and was given a general physical and her very first shots. FIV is not cheap to get tested for, but was definitely necessary seeing as where she was coming from. She was given a clean bill of health with the exception of her eye, which had an infection. This is common with kittens and I was given drops.

Hobbes and Kenya
It didn't take long for my cats to start warming up to Kenya, and before too long they were cuddling and playing together. Keep in mind, this was after 2 weeks of keeping them separate and slowly introducing them through the door, as well as a little growling and hissing along the way.

Kenya and I, 2012

Kenya and I have always had a truly special bond. Whether this is because I've had her since she was SO young, or the fact that she's always been with me wherever I've moved to over the last year and a half (I moved around quite a bit for a short period!) She is just an amazing little girl, and I absolutely love her to pieces. She's quite skiddish with a lot of people, mainly men for some reason, but I don't think this has much or anything to do with her being taken off of the street. All cats develop unique personalities, and she's just a lot more comfortable with females. She is up to date on her shots, spayed and is a healthy girl! If it's something you are willing and able to do, I would definitely suggest getting involved in rescuing cats, or any animal for that matter, any way you can. Whether it's through an organization that does the rescue and vaccinations and then adopts these cats out, or rescuing a homeless cat off the street yourself, it's an extremely rewarding experience for both you and the cat.

Check out the organization that rescued Chloe, her mother and brothers and sisters here!




HAVE A GREAT NIGHT! xx





No comments:

Post a Comment

March Favourites 2014! ♥

           Welcome to my March favourites 2014! As showcased in my YouTube video below, I had a decent amount of products to share with you...